Probably wondering what all that garbage was about, right? It's a project I've been thinking about for a long time, but I didn't announce it until I was certain that it could feasibly and conveniently be made.
Basically, it's a freeware platform-puzzle game in where a nondescript character wanders through 101 doors to 101 rooms/setpieces. Each room has a basic theme, and some kind of puzzle will have to be solved in order to move onto the next door and the next room.
So yeah, it's basically 99 Rooms (seriously, check this out) mixed with every single XBLA game ever. It's a low hanging fruit, but I still think it's interesting. Maybe I'm alone on that.
I was considering doing all the 101 environments I planned out myself, which let's face it, would have been a feckin' nightmare, but I thought to myself: "I'm feeling rather collaborative. Why not make this a group project?"
So yeah, that's what I'm gonna do. Let (around) 101 artists from all over Deviantart contribute their tastes on 101 different themes of 101 different rooms in a variety of styles. It'll be fun, won't it?
I know this probably seems pretty ambitious, but there's no point in not trying. What do we have to lose?
I'm going to set a few guidelines on what I think should make this project work:
- In order to prevent a loss from people not finishing their works, I'm allowing 2 people to work on a single theme at a time. That way, if one doesn't manage to finish his/her background, there's a backup. If both parties finish it, however, we'll settle the dispute when it happens.
- Also just incase we can't get 101 different people working on 101 backgrounds, a single artist can work on a max of 3 themes at a time.
- The dimensions of the game screen are 1280x720, but the levels/backgrounds themselves can be much larger. Granted, I still think it's best to keep it at a height of 720, but have a width around the size of 1280 to 5000 pixels.
- If you want the landscape to have foreground/background elements (such as clouds or mountains or the like), please send each layer as an individual PNG with a transparency layer I can work with(unless it's the background, in which just leave it). See above video for clarification.
- See if you can design your background with a puzzle in mind. You're pretty much designing the entire environments of the game, so it would be interesting to see you integrate some kind of setup for a puzzle required to reach the next door/next level, like some interactive elements (which if they still move, again, send them as individual files). If you do, let me know when you're sending the images to me. I'd be genuinely interested to hear what you'll suggest!
- You can submit the images to me via note or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) under the title "101 Worlds: [insert theme here]" with links to your level and notes on the puzzle idea. Whether you choose to upload the level to your main Deviantart account before the game is released will be up to you.
- I'll give you about 2 months from when you claim the theme to finish the level design. I've seen too many Deviantart projects go down because some people claim a reserved spot and never follow up on it. If that's the case, I'll remove your name and the space will reopen to someone else.
If there's anything I missed that I likely did, or there some changes you'd like to suggest, please let me know. Click here for the link of all the listed themes and occupied spaces.
I hope you guys enjoy this project, and I hope that this will see the light of day. Have fun!